WASHINGTON, DC – February 24, 2017 – Co-Founders Dr. Sachiko Kuno and Kate Goodall are delighted to announce the launch of Halcyon, a new public nonprofit* evolved from S&R Foundation, a private foundation that supports a diverse group of changemakers in art, science, and social enterprise. Arising from the Foundation’s success, Halcyon will now operate independently, with Goodall at the helm as CEO.
“I am thrilled to join with Kate Goodall, and our phenomenal founding board, as we introduce Halcyon, building upon S&R’s commitment to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship and expanding our impact in the community,” said a founding board member Dr. Sachiko Kuno, who will continue to serve as President of S&R Foundation.
Halcyon will steward the Halcyon Incubator and a unique new suite of programs and events dedicated to artistic innovation. In total, its programs and signature event are:
- Halcyon Incubator - Equipping early-stage social entrepreneurs with the support they need to transform audacious ideas into scalable and sustainable ventures, and change the world
- Halcyon Arts Lab - A robust fellowship supporting emerging artists with bold ideas of how art and creativity can be forces for social impact.
- Halcyon Stage - A performance series led by Artistic Director Septime Webre that pushes the boundaries of artistic expression with eclectic remixes of traditional arts
- Halcyon Dialogue – a series of high-level discussions among global leaders, experts and innovators, focused on 21st Century challenges and their broad implications for global society.
- Halcyon Awards Gala - Recognizing masterclass luminaries who have dedicated their lives to affecting positive social change in the arts, business or policy.
Through this mix of programs, Halcyon continues the spirit of S&R Foundation’s mission with a singular focus on social impact through education, business and art.
“Halcyon is devoted to the potential of human creativity, and its power to create a better world for us all,” said CEO Kate Goodall. “We bring together diverse groups of changemakers in science, art, and social enterprise and provide them safe haven and community for their bold ideas to take flight.”
Joining Dr. Kuno as Founding board members for Halcyon include an exciting array of visionaries, replete with business acumen and creative sensibilities, who will help steward the nonprofit starting in mid-March.
- Teresa Carlson (Amazon Web Services)
- Michelle Freeman (Carl M. Freeman Companies and Monumental Sports & Entertainment)
- Sheila C. Johnson (Salamander Hotels & Resorts, Monumental Sports & Entertainment)
- Frank LaPrade (Capital One Financial Corporation)
- Kevin Lavin (Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP)
- Jodie McLean (EDENS)
- Carol Melton (Time Warner)
Halcyon will continue to grow the Founding Board over the course of 2017. They will join an honorary board of S&R alumni supporters.
Headquartered in Georgetown’s historic Halcyon House, Halcyon’s local outreach in the District includes:
- a longstanding partnership providing enrichment for the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Washington
- a mentoring program for high school social entrepreneurs in partnership with LearnServe International
- a mentoring program through the Halcyon Arts Lab that pairs artist fellows with DC high school students through a partnership with DC Prep
- a wide array of free performances and community programs in conjunction with Halcyon Stage, including pop-up shows at Union Market, a meet and great with Misty Copeland for the young dancers at the ARC, and a hip hop workshop and festival for D.C. high school students
*Halcyon is in the process of obtaining recognition from the IRS as a public charity under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.